THE ‘Maison de LA ROTONDE’ (CARTHAGE, TUNISIA)
The “House of the Rotunda”, located on Carthage’s Odeon hill, is a rich aristocratic residence built in the Flavian period, which, however, enjoyed its most sumptuous period in the late 5th century. This late phase is represented here. This example shows that the city of Carthage, although conquered by the Vandals, was still inhabited by wealthy people, with the aristocracy choosing to remain there throughout Late Antiquity. It offers a counterpoint to the image often conveyed of an impoverished and degraded Late Antique town. This aristocratic dwelling was excavated between 1920 and 1930. The building was the subject of a meticulous architectural study, resulting in extensive documentation and a reconstruction.